This activity is part of the Laboratory Medical Director (LMD) learning series. Save 10% when you purchase all of the courses in this series together. Below are the courses included in the series. Click here to see all courses in the series.
- Achieving Regulatory and Accreditation Compliance
- Driving Excellence: Tools and Strategies for Managing Quality
- Getting Your Message Across: Effective Communication Strategies
- Good Laboratory Decisions for Better Patient Care
- Improving Patient Outcomes: Managing Risk and Reducing Errors
- Successful Laboratory Leadership: Taking Action and Getting Results
- Working Together for Success: Key Strategies for Building Teams
This activity originally released as Improving Patient Outcomes: Managing Risk and Reducing Errors and was available between December 12, 2019, and December 12, 2022. The content was reviewed in April 2022.
NOTE: This course includes 2021 CAP accreditation checklist requirements. Please check your current CAP accreditation checklists for the most recent updates.
This activity focuses on risk and compliance requirements. It provides laboratory medical directors with the information they need to identify risks, monitor the environment, and prevent potential errors in the laboratory. Key elements of compliance and how to adapt a compliance plan in accordance with the Office of Inspector General guidelines are also covered. Throughout the activity, interactive scenarios allow you to apply prospective and retrospective risk management tools. It also includes a 10-question assessment.
After completing this activity, you should be able to:
- Use risk management tools to conduct prospective and retrospective risk assessments and develop risk management strategies.
- Establish and maintain a laboratory compliance program and compliance plan as specified by the Office of Inspector General.
- Describe laboratory compliance regulations and their potential risk factors.
- Describe the laboratory medical director’s role in relation to disaster planning.
Guang Fan, MD, PhD, FCAP
Elizabeth A. Wagar, MD, FCAP
Thomas Williams, MD, FCAP
Accreditation: The College of American Pathologists (CAP) is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
CME Category 1: The College of American Pathologists designates this internet enduring material educational activity for a
maximum of 2.5
AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
CE (Continuing Education for nonphysicians): The CAP designates this educational activity for a maximum of 2.5 credit(s) of continuing education. Participants should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
This activity is approved for continuing education credit in the states of California and Florida.
The American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Board of Certification (BOC) Certification Maintenance Program (CMP) accepts this activity to meet the continuing education requirements.
To pay with a check, print a copy of this page and send it with your check to the address below. You will be notified when your payment has been processed and you have been registered into the activity.
College of American Pathologists
325 Waukegan Road
Northfield, IL 60093-2750
Refunds will be handled on an exception basis. Please submit your request to the CAP in writing via email at
firstname.lastname@example.org or fax at 847-832-8006.
Pop-up blockers must be turned off.
The CAP recognizes that some Veteran’s Administration, US Government, and military participants may have difficulty accessing the online activity. If you experience difficulty or have any questions, please contact a representative of the Customer Contact Center at 800-323-4040 option 1 or email@example.com.
This activity and evaluation are available December 13, 2022 and expire December 12, 2025 11:59 PM (CT). Upon completion of the activity your credit will be awarded. Your certificate may be downloaded from your Transcript.